If you think I’m narcissistic because I love doing self portraits, you’re wrong. I’ve never been a fan of seeing myself on camera, I’ve always been the kind of girl who sees a camera and her instinct is to immediately cover her face. Always.
But somehow, being the main subject of my photographs is one of the things I enjoy the most. It’s a complete different experience and always an adventure. Here’s why:
– I get to be another person, like a character. Not always my photos are stories but still they are different from my daily life. Let me tell you something, wearing a wedding gown or a blonde wig or simply nothing it’s more fun than you think.
– I experiment other parts of me. It’s funny because my favorite photographer Brooke Shaden says that even though her photos are dark, she is nothing like that..but that she likes it because it’s a way of exploring those other parts of her that maybe she only can in photos. Well..I’m sort of the opposite. I’ve always been a dark person, not so much anymore but still a little. And although some of my photos are dark, some of them are more angelical, peaceful and bright. I love the dark creepy ones but there is something about the ones that are not that I absolutely adore.
– It’s much more challenging. It’s not the same thing putting a model in front of your camera and telling her what to do, than to put yourself in front, sometimes struggling to focus the camera, and having to run back and forth to see how the shot is turning out.
– In a way, it’s easier. Even though it’s more challenging, it’s better because you know exactly what you want. You don’t have to instruct anyone and make them picture what you have in mind.
– The people who enjoy them, get to know on a more personal level the photographer.
– You end up with a lot of possible profile pictures.
– As a photographer, you grow a lot faster.
The last pictures I did weren’t self portraits and I was getting anxious of doing one. So the other day, I did one, in which I include my new blonde wig which I was so excited to use. I think it gives a total different look to the photo.
This is my newest creation “Afraid To Fly”, I hope you like it.